Oh, pals, forgive me for a small lapse in posting. This is an extremely busy time even for candy-ass, wannabe farmers like us. All the pears came off our two trees this week. Last week, most of the apples from three trees were harvested. Five trees, you’re saying? You call that a harvest? Well, ok, small “h.” The amazing thing is just how many pears and apples come off those five old lovingly but amateurishly maintained trees. Lots for the deer, the horse, a neighbor, family, a pal or two and us, too. In addition to the pears you see on the table, there are several boxes out in dry storage.

And, oh, I know I say the same thing every year, but, pals, these pears are truly the food of the gods and goddesses. We wait until they show just a bit of yellow; we poke the small ends with our fingers to see if they give, just a bit; then we eat. What kind of pears are they? Who knows, exactly. They are trees from before the time that pears were grown to survive shipping. They are pears selected, planted and grown for taste by some unknown past residents here, maybe eighty or so years ago. Why am I going on and on about my dang pears? Because, dear pals, if you’ve never eaten a pear (or a peach or an apricot) grown without poison, strictly for taste, and allowed to ripen naturally, you MUST put that on your pre-bucket list. Please, don’t wait until you’re nearly dead, darling pals, to experience fruit so good it makes you silly. SO good, you wonder how anybody could think it was a brilliant idea to remove the flavor and texture so it could do better in the back of a truck.

Which brings us to the whole fertility thing. It’s not a big stretch to look at these gorgeous pears (and, Hedy reminds me, stick your snoot in there and give ‘er a sniff!) and understand immediately how they became symbols of fertility and objects of worship. As you take them from the tree, who gives them up with no apparent protest, even when you snap a branch, you can’t help but be filled with gratitude. That tree will go into a lovely, long, nap; burst into fragrant, pale pink paroxysms in March, and produce a new batch to pick at the end of next September. Even if that were the only miracle you got to witness in a lifetime, wouldn’t that be enough to make you a believer in something?

At our house, late September is also our time to celebrate an anniversary — Carol and Brian, who met in our backyard 12 years ago, have now been married six years ( a whole ‘nother story!) — and a couple of special birthdays, including Miss H’s fifth. Oh, wait, that’s another miracle, isn’t it? Oh, no, two more! Three more! Jeemeney, when the pears come in, I start sounding like one of those nutty TV preachers.

Gotta go run in the woods now. Talk to me.

1. Melsy says:

MMM these pears are gorgeous and making me so hungry!!!

I love all your pics and stories! Great when I can’t sleep!!! Thank you!!!

2. stephl says:

Love that you speak so poetically about your apples and pears. I grew up in Sebastopol. Apple country, until grapes took over that is. But still remember picking apples and eating them right off the trees. Nothing better then fruit right off the vine (or tree, or bush).

3. cc says:

Nothing like a crisp, delicious pear from a tree. These look perfect for an abundance of pear pies, Miss Lynne! Yummers!

4. Kara Betke via Facebook says:

Loved the post, but gosh darn it, Lynne! You totally made me squeal with excitement by your Blog title! I thought this was your way of telling us that Miss H was going to be a big sister. Sheeeeeeeeeesh. <3 P.s I totally want to go Pear Plucking at ODF. xo

5. Wayne Greenwood via Facebook says:

Kara, you’re scaring daddy.

6. Kara, I thought the same thing at first!

7. Wayne Greenwood via Facebook says:

BTW, if last year’s harvest is any indication, you’re only seeing a teensy subset of the pear crop in these photos. I think they’re crying out to be fermented into some hard pear cider…

8. Kelley Marie says:

Great pictures Lynne! This reminds me of my childhood, my grandmother had a huge pear tree. I use to love picking the pears and really enjoyed eating them. Gosh they were sooooooo yummy!

I totally thought this was gonna end with grand baby #2 on the way tooo lol!!

10. Kara Betke via Facebook says:

Haha, sorry Wayne! 🙂 And I like the way you think — Lynne, hard pear cider…I mean, helloooo amazing.

11. Larissa says:

Oh how I love eating a fresh pear ! My grandmother has some yummy pear jelly recipes. I grew up eating this yummy jelly. Hope you enjoyed your run, Lynne.

Makes me feel happy just reading about this. I can hear the joy in your voice Lynne. Looks fabulous.

13. LaurieandDeeAnn says:

They look delicious, Lynne! I have always loved pears and peaches! 🙂

14. amandahawking says:

Beautiful photos.. Pears always look great especially with that reddy tinge! I’m the biggest fan of dried pears which I think we spoke about this time last year!! When is the lovely Miss H’s birthday?? Thanks for the post Lynne xx

15. amandahawking says:

Kara, do you have hard pear cider over there?? Cider has taken over Australia. Lol :)) x

16. Rose says:

Those apples look yummy! You talk about harvesting your apples with such passion. It sounds like I’m reading about a birth or something spiritual. You have such love for this. It’s just oozing out of you!

17. Man, I love pears so much. I would love a basket of those babies right about now!

18. Chanda says:

Nope, don’t think I’ve ever had a pear without the poison (or much else for that matter). Must try. Add me to the list of peeps who thought that someone was going to have a new baby lol. Fall is a time of new beginnings, right lol? Is that a real pumpkin?