I had been hearing stories about this place for so many years, from sisters Annie and Lisa Tune. This was the place in Alabama, near Decatur, where they had spent magical time growing up. They lived nearby, in Priceville, and their Dad, Leon, a surgeon, had bought the farm in the 60s, The Tune kids loved it. Their grownup lives had now taken them elsewhere, for the most part, but they’d each left chunks of their hearts there, in the swings or the porch chairs or the huge basement that stayed cool all summer.

The farmhouse, a craftsman, was built in 1919, and time hasn’t been gentle to it, but it’s still lovely and strong and has great bones.

In the last few years, Annie made Tune Farm the first certified organic farm in Alabama, and has worked hard to make it productive, turning out gorgeous little potatoes and other veggie delicacies for CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and restaurant customers. The house is surrounded by several barns, ponds full of crawfish, turtles and other critters, and something like 250 acres of pristine Alabama wetlands, fields and woods.

I opened up the car door, took one look, and was a goner. Smitten. When I called Kelly to ask some landscape designer questions, she knew: “You’re really in love, aren’t you ma?” Yes, I am.

It’s gonna take a few small miracles and maybe a big one or two, but Annie, Lisa and I are all completely on fire to do what needs to be done to turn Tune Farm into a place where folks can spend a dreamy weekend or weeklong retreat, learning how to paint or perfect their fly casting or work on yoga postures or write a first chapter or just have fabulous, uninterrupted time with friends or family.

Brainstorming Paint Colors with Lisa

Happy, well educated chickens.

The entrance to Tune Farm

The Fabulous Lisa Tune

So now, when I say “stay tuned,” it has a whole new meaning!

1. It looks like a great place. I haven’t spent any time in the Southern part of the U.S., but I would love to. Sounds like a very worthwhile project. Oh, and I love the black bag you have across your shoulders in that one shot! I will definitely stay ‘Tuned’ for updates!

2. Kara Betke via Facebook says:

Beautiful.

3. It feels like home! Looks so inviting and peaceful. Love your descriptions and photos in your posts. Thanks for introducing us to a part of history. Here’s to many new adventures 🙂

4. Noelle C says:

I’m looking forward to seeing the finished product. If anyone can get this project completed, it is you. Have fun with your new baby. 🙂

5. Toni says:

So serene, so beautiful! You look so happy and content in your pic! Thanks for sharing.

6. Destiny says:

That bag, Lynne Bowman?! Feathers? Faux fur? I love that even out in the sticks you have a bangin’ bag lol. Looks like a gorgeous place!

7. Ms. Jenny says:

Wow. Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Very beautiful! Love the craftsman style. A project that is fueled by love is already halfway there. Thanks for sharing.

9. Kara Betke via Facebook says:

p.s. I would have an absolute BALL there. I can only imagine the fun times Lisa and Annie had as kids. Such a cool space to roam and feel like a tiny ant in a huge forest..exploring..eating right..beautiful scenery..what more could you ask for?

10. TinaFunez says:

It’s so beautiful. Great shots. love the chichen one.. Des, I noticed the bag too. lol too cool!

11. ellie says:

Gorgeous photos, beautiful farm!! Thanks for writing this up – can’t wait to hear more about it!

12. Kelley Marie says:

Sounds like a fun project! Great pictures and I love that happy well educated chicken. I look forward to hearing about the process and how it all turns out.

13. Rose says:

This was my childhood. All this is so familiar. I’m not really a fan. If this is a possible place for a BH retreat, I wanna see it happen. I’m glad you love it!

14. Larissa says:

So glad that you enjoyed your little trip to the South! :)I grew up in South Miss on a tranquil place in the country like this! When I need an escape, this is where I still retreat to. Can’t wait to see what is next for the Tune Farm. Loved the pictures!

15. Lynne says:

Well, pals, growing up in the Los Angeles basin in the 50s and 60s, I’m totally warped. This looks like heaven to me. There are all kinds of heaven, I know, but certainly this is one.

16. Devorah Zeller via Facebook says:

I love this so so much! My kind of place! Wide open spaces, vintage flare, comfy cottagie nooks filled with warmth, light and laughter! I see us all there! Can’t wait.

17. Chris Dougherty Andres via Facebook says:

This is so my kind of place – green, wide open, tranquil, happy, well-educated chickens! What is there not to like???

18. Chanda says:

Love this. I don’t think I would want to live on a farm full-time, but this looks like it would be a great place to spend a vacation or summer break. I wouldn’t even mind feeding the animals for a spell.

19. I often wondered what the Tune Farm was like…and now I know. Fabulous! It looks like a magical place. Enjoy it while you have the time. Love to everybody there!,,,

20. Diana says:

Looks so peaceful and green! Happy chickens roaming…swings…
    Love it! C

21. Tammy Blackwood says:

This place is absolutely beautiful and Lisa is the sweetest person this place feels like a breath of fresh air perfect for any event. Cant wait to watch it grow!!