Most bakeries are wonderful. What’s not to love? Some bakeries are exceptionally wonderful: a couple of landmark places in Paris come to mind, with gorgeous cases full of prissy, divine little poufs of sugary delight. And then there is my personal favorite: Companion Bakeshop, 2341 Mission Street, on the North end of Santa Cruz, CA. Not prissy. Not sugary. Only one glass case. Kind of straightforward and no-nonsense. But oh, my, for those of us who love real, freshly baked sourdough bread, this is the place. They use several different kinds of locally sourced organic grains, and their loaves of semolina, walnut, or seeded sourdough bread are the stuff foodie dreams are made of.

We stopped in this morning for a little fortification, and loved watching the loaves being readied for the wood-fired ovens.

They use wheat from Pie Ranch, here in Pescadero, which is grown from heritage seed the folks at Pie Ranch had to look all over the place to find: if you follow the news at all, you know that most commercially grown wheat grown today bears no resemblance to the wheat that was grown on your grandma’s farm. It’s a different critter, and not in a good way. Pie Ranch had to import a special hand-made wooden mill for the wheat, too, which is a work of art in itself, just so people like the Companion Bakeshop folks could make real bread out of real wheat. Worth the effort? For the answer to that, you just have to taste.

And then, as if that weren’t enough, they make special teacakes, scones and croissants, quiche and brownies out of that fabulous flour and real butter from actual cows and eggs from extremely happy, well-adjusted chickens. Plus, of course, the kind of one-cup-at-a-time coffees and teas worthy of baked goods like these.

We love it that there are still people in the world who think a perfect loaf of sourdough bread or an apricot ginger scone are worth doing with absolute devotion, patience and persnicketyness. Check out their website: #CompanionBakeshop.com, and don’t miss a chance to sniff it for yourself if you’re in Santa Cruz.

Wow, now that is some beautiful bread! Looks like a totally delightful little place, I hope you and Miss H had a wonderful time, and that your chompers were up for the chomp!

2. Chanda Camese via Facebook says:

Mmmm the aroma must be heavenly. I’ll have a scone and a brownie, please.

3. Tina Funez via Facebook says:

OH my..this place looks yummy!! I LOVE bread , especially sourdough ..Miss H is so cute. Love her hairdo. Thanks for sharing your day with us. Love reading your blog post. <3

Heaven to me Lynne! I would love a loaf of that bread and a treat or two from The Bery Best Bakeshop. Bread is my fav food group 😉 I have read about the wheat (and other grains) and all the things that big business is doing to the grain industry and in turn to our food and bodies. 🙁 Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. xx

5. Noelle Carpenter via Facebook says:

Looks wonderful. I love bread and those tea cakes looks divine.

6. Tea cakes bring back childhood memories. So, what didja have, a scone, tea cake, brownie, sourdough bread, or croissant? Miss H gets introduced to so much. She’ll know exactly where food comes from and how it’s made. She want think it’s made in the grocery stores..

7. I had green tea and a bite of Miss H’s croissant. Today, Rose Thomas, on the way to swim, she asked me to explain to her how to build a house. Next week! Told her it hurt too much to talk right now, but I’d get to it.

8. Wow, that’s amazing! Do I see an architect in her future! Watching bread being made is for the birds. Miss H has bigger dreams! Next-

9. Sorry, forgot to ask. Your mouth still hurts a lot? It’s still painful to eat and talk,? Does it interfer with your sleep? Do you rest at night? Geez,, I don’t mean to play 20 questions.

10. You’re sweet to ask, Rose. Sleeping is no problem. It’s being awake that’s the booger. Can only eat squishy things, and talking in monosyllables. I’m telling myself it’s getting better, and maybe one of these days I’ll buy my story. Don’t know how it’s gonna be in Nashville! Figure I’ll just try to keep grinning and let everybody else do the talking!

11. Hopefully, it’ll be better by Nashville. If not, I’ll do just that. Show up and smile. Thus, the reason for braces. Just stand there look cute and show your beautiful smile. 🙂

12. Love the blog post. Only wish I knew about this little beauty when we were there in SC last year. Love a good sour dough, with wait for it…butter ( nutlex) and vegemite!! Ha! :)) Hope you two had a wonderful day x

13. Diana Garcia via Facebook says:

!

14. Diana Garcia via Facebook says:

First place I will pop into on my next Santa Cruz trip…Yumm! My kinda place.